For those that enjoy a full-terrain outdoor adventure, a bike rack can allow you to travel with both variety and style.
However, knowing what type of bike rack is right for your situation can be difficult. Thankfully, we have put together a useful guide to help you determine which current popular model will serve you best.
Take a careful look at the categories you need to consider, and the models we have recommended before reading up on our final verdict. Although we will pick a clear winner, you should ultimately choose the bike rack that is right for you.
Top 5 Bestseller Bike Rack For Car
Things To Consider
For a rack to fit a low budget, trunk racks are a perfect option. The extreme portability of trunk racks makes them perfect for the adventurer on the go. Additionally, many trunk racks will fit a wide variety of vehicles with ease.
However, trunk racks can often become frustrating when trying to access other storage spaces of the vehicle.
- Easy to Afford
- Simple Installation Process
- Loading and Unloading Can be Done by Anyone
- Works with Most Vehicle Types
- Perfect for Casual Users
- Not as Durable as Other Rack Types
- Interferes with Access to Rear Storage Spaces
- Bikes May Sway
Unlike trunk racks, hitch racks are extremely easy to install. However, hitch racks are often more expensive than trunk racks. Additionally, hitch racks are often much more versatile in the kinds of equipment they can handle.
Those who enjoy other outdoor activities, such as snowboarding, skiing, and more, should get a lot of use out of a hitch rack.
- Easy to Install
- Easy to load/unload bikes.
- Highly accessible.
- Clear Access to Rear Entrances in Some Cases
- More Expensive than Trunk Racks.
- Some Models Block Access to Rear Entries
- Material is Not as Firmly Held in Place.
When buying a rack, perhaps the most important thing to consider is how often you will use it. For frequent outdoor adventurers, hitch racks are much more effective.
However, the price and easy-to-use features of trunk racks will better serve those who will only sometimes use the rack. Despite usage, hitch racks are much more diverse in their functions.
For those looking to make a quality investment, hitch racks will beat trunk racks in most situations. However, the simple installation process of trunk racks makes it simpler to use them more often.
- Your Spending Budget
- How Many Bikes You Will be Transporting?
- Do You Own or Lease Your Vehicle?
- Does Your Bike Have a Specialty Shaped Frame?
- What Sort of Activities Will You be Using the Rack for?
- How Secure Do You Want Your Bikes to be?
The 5 Best Bike Racks for Cars
Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack
- Patented design fits sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUV's consult manufacturer web site for specific vehicle fit information
- Side straps for increased lateral stability. Single configuration design eliminates setup hassles and headaches during installation
- Individual tie downs secure and protect bicycles
When looking to take a quality adventuresome trip up the mountains, the Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack has you covered.
Made to fit vehicles of any size, the rack can accommodate all types of travelers.
This quality rack can care for two bikes that weigh up to 35 pounds and offers precise lateral stability. Each aspect of the Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Racks design is meant to keep your bikes secure. With the 12” carry arms, padded lower frames, and individual
With the 12” carry arms, padded lower frames, and individual tie-downs, you can feel safe while transporting your bicycles. Given the full 70-pound capacity of the rack, your vehicle will not be strained by the extras weight.
The lifetime manufacturer’s warranty will keep you adventure-ready, even if accidents happen. Lastly, the Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack comes fully assembled right out of the box, allowing you to begin your adventure ASAP!
Hollywood Racks Express Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
- Rubber bike cradles and EPDM rubber straps hold up to 2 bikes firmly in place;
- Comes fully pre-assembled; Folds flat for easy storage in your trunk or garage
- Max Capacity: 35lbs per bike; Not to be used for E-Bikes
One of the more economical choices on the list, the Hollywood Racks Express Trunk Mounted Bike Rack is perfect for any consumer.
With the ability to store up to three bikes (up to 40 lbs. each), you can bring a few friends along on your adventure.
The combination of being fully assembled out of the box, and holding a lifetime warranty, makes the model great for budget-conscious buyers.
Combine this with excellent support features, such as the integrated tie-down steps, and you are ensured safe transportation for your bicycles. The Hollywood Racks Express Trunk Mounted Bike Rack can accommodate nearly any vehicle, and with 7” of space between each rack, the model fits onto vehicles with ease and comfort.
When you are finished with the rack simply fold it up to store it in your vehicle. This feature helps protect yourself from bike rack theft while out on the trails.
Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack
- 4 bike rack fits vehicles with a 2 inch trailer hitch only. Vehicle will require professionally installed Class III or IV 2 inches hitch to use this product
- 22 inch long carry arms individually secure bicycles with Allen's patented tie down system
- Folding carry arms quickly drop out of the way when rack is not in use. Minor assembly required.
The Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver) model allows you to take a large group of people out and about.
Additionally, the mount rack design allows you to avoid unsightly and vision-impairing mounting.
One of the best-looking models on the list, the sturdy steel construction, and black powder coat finish let you transport your bicycles in style.
The model’s 22” carry arms help keep each bicycle separated perfectly. However, the fact that only 2” hitches work with the rack makes it less-than-ideal for some consumers.
Although it is not fully assembled out of the box, the Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver) can be assembled in less than 5 minutes. Easy to store, mount, and use, the model is great for bike rack users of any experience level.
Pro-Series 63124 Eclipse Black 2-Inch Bike Carrier
- Tilt feature allows easy trunk access and unloading of bikes
- Hook and loop straps permit quick and easy bike loading and removal
- Soft rubber cradles protect bike finish
One of the most diverse models on the list, the Pro-Series 63124 Eclipse Black 2-Inch Sq.
4 Bike Carrier is great for any consumer.
Able to accommodate most vehicle types, and easy to store and assemble/disassemble, users of any skill level can get the most out of this model. The tilted carry arm, cable locks, and anti-rattle hitch bolt allow you to travel securely.
Additionally, the security features are stylish in their design. The sturdy cradles provide a way to keep your bikes still during particularly tough-terrain drives. Finally, the Pro-Series 63124 Eclipse Black 2-Inch Sq. 4 Bike Carrier is both highly durable and is completely corrosion resistant.
Saris Bones 801 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack
- BONES TRUNK: The iconic Bones rack has been a cornerstone of bike racks for decades; it's a tested statement of style, design, convenience, and durability (11lbs)
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with most vehicles frame fits over most spoilers; rubberized feet protect car and coated straps protect bike
- CAPACITY: Carries 3 bikes (35lb/bike), ratcheting anti-sway straps for a secure hold
Environmentally-conscious buyers will love the 100% recycled material constructed Saris Bones 801 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack model.
Combined with its rust-resistant nature, this model is sure to last you for many years to come. The trusted Saris brand allows you to feel secure in the fact that your bikes will be transported safely.
Holding up to 3 bikes, you can use the Saris Bones 801 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack model to have a proper outdoor adventure. With the lifetime warranty offered by Saris, you won’t have to feel bad about being a bit rougher on your bike rack.
In fact, the model has the strongest arms and legs available on the market, so your bicycles will be kept sturdily secured on any terrain. Nearly all vehicle types are accommodated by the model, making it a great buy for all consumers.
Thanks to the arc-based design of the model, your visibility on the road will not be affected by your bike transport.
Each one of the products we have covered on this list comes with our guarantee of quality. However, you will need to consider both your budget and intended use before making an ultimate decision.
As for our number 1 choice, the Saris Bones 801 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack wins our top recommendation. With an easy-to-use design, environmentally stable construction, and a lifetime warranty, the model is perfect for any consumer.
If you need a heavy-duty bike rack, however, the Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver) is more likely to suit you better. With a quick install time and a durable frame, you can take more people along on your adventure with this quality
As for our number 1 choice, the Saris Bones 801 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack wins our top recommendation. With an easy-to-use design, and environmentally stable construction, and a lifetime warranty, the model is perfect for any consumer. If you need a heavy-duty bike rack, however, the Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver) is more likely to suit you better.
With a quick install time and a durable frame, you can take more people along on your adventure with this quality.
May you like: Best Mountain Bikes Under $1000