During those moments when we know we should be sleeping well, but can’t, we turn on our phones, tablets, and watch TV instead of turning off the lights, putting away the electronics, and tucking ourselves in. As these types of electronics are stimulating, they can wake you up instead of putting you to sleep.
If you’re having nighttime insomnia, reading a book is a good solution, but one issue keeps you up: a lamp is too dim to read a book, and leaving the light on keeps you awake.
Top 5 Bestseller Book Lights
We will introduce you to the best book lights available this year as a possible solution to this problem.
It will ensure that you can get a lamp that provides you with enough light as you read, but not so much that it disturbs you or your loved one.
Top 5 Best Book Lights Reviews
LEPOWER Night Light Clip on for Desk
- Clip on: Brighten up with the click of a switch on the cord and perfect for Table, Desk, Bed headboard and Computers.The maximum wide of this bedside lamp for clip：2.36 inch.
- Free Angle Adjustable of arm and lamp holder, place your book light for best viewing.
- 2 switches on the cord. One has three options: Warm light,off and White light. The other has two options to adjust the brightness: dim and bright.
LePower Clip-on Lamp/Light Color Changeable/Night Light Clip-on for Desk, Bed Headboard, and Computers (Silver)
The LEPOWER Clip-On Light can be mounted on desks, bed headboards, and even computers. For studying, you can choose to keep it on your desk or use it to read at night.
The clip-on attachment is wide enough, specifically 2.36 inches, to fit onto desks and tables and onto textbooks. A metal lining also covers the lamplight, the clip, and the flexible neck.
This lamp has a 360-degree rotating neck which is adjustable. There are also switches built into the coring for changing between the warm, white, and off settings. Additionally, you can dim or brighten the brightness.
The charger for the light is a two-prong USB adapter, which operates at a distance of five feet. A student or office worker can use this with a standard 110V power line.
- Easy to clip on any object
- Adjustable light and neck
- Long charger cord
- 12 months warranty
- 60-days guarantee
- Not bright enough
WITHit Square LED Reading Light for Books and eBooks
- EASY TO SECURE: The WITHit French Bull LED Book Light Clip On is designed to fasten to books and eBook units easily and securely so you can comfortably read in bed on the couch or anywhere else you like to curl up with a good book.
- FLEXIBLE NECK DESIGN: The light emitted from this reading book light fully illuminates the book pages and screen thanks to the flexible neck design. It can be adjusted so you can get the light exactly where needed.
- REDUCED GLARE: The expert design and shape of this lightweight reading light includes 1 bright LED that illuminates pages and eBook devices, including Kindles, with less glare. You can read in complete darkness and experience less strain on your eyes.
LED Book Light by French Bull – LED Reading Light – LED Book Light (Ombre)
With this reading light, you can read more comfortably. It is compact and lightweight, making it easier to bring with you. There is an easy-to-attach clip that can cling securely to books, tables, tablets, and other thin devices so you can read at night or under incandescent lighting.
There are a variety of fun colors available, so you can choose one that matches your style. Take it to school and the office, or use it at home.
The product’s neck is flexible so you can adjust it as necessary, and it can rotate in at least 180 degrees. LED lights are not only compatible with books and tables, but also with Kindle devices and other electronic tablets.
Designed to reduce glare on electronic devices, this light makes reading easier on your eyes. Interesting to note is that it only weighs 2.4 ounces, which makes it extremely light and portable. Additionally, it is powered by two CR2032 coin lithium cells that can last up to a few hours.
- Easy to attach
- Adjustable and flexible neck
- Cost-effective maintenance
- Very portable
- Available in multiple colors
- Comes with batteries
- The neck isn’t durable
CeSunlight Book Light for Reading in Bed
- ♥ Powerful Rechargeable Lithium Battery. Its 700mAh battery takes only 3 hours to get fully charged and can last up to 6-8 hours with high brightness and 10 hours with normal brightness. Do not have to waste money on buying batteries.
- ♥ 4 LEDs Total & 4 Level Brightness. 2 Leds Each Arm, 1 Spotlight and 1 Wide Angle LED each side. 1st Click is Wide angle Light, 2nd Click is Spotlight, 3rd Click is Spot&Wide light, 4th Click off. Functions are the same for each arm. This booklight is ideal for poor eyesight.
- ♥ Flexible Arms. Steel alloy arms are flexible and strong. Arms are covered with soft Silicone, nontoxic, safe to use, and high-grade.
CESUNLIGHT Reading Light, Hands-Free, Best for Bed Reading or Reading in Car, Flexible Arm, 4 super bright LED Bulbs, Adjustable Light Levels
Bright and durable, the CeSunlight LED Book Light is designed for continuous use. Many book lights don’t have durable batteries, and some of them even burn out while charging, but this device has a lithium battery that charges quickly and lasts for a long time. Portable and lightweight, the impact design allows you to take it anywhere.
With the lithium battery integrated into the product, it only takes three hours to get fully charged and can work up to ten hours on the lowest setting. In the reading light, there are four LED lights that can be adjusted to different levels of brightness.
Each arm contains two LED lights, and one can function as a spotlight, while the other can function as a wide-angle LED. The flexible arm makes it easy to adjust the neck to your liking, and the whole unit is lightweight and portable.
- Rechargeable battery
- Adjustable brightness and arms
- Multiple LED lights
- Lightweight and compact
- Quick and easy to charge
- Easy to store and carry around
AMIR Mini Book Light
- Non-Flicker & Eye-Protection Light - The reading light emits natural and non-flickering light. Glare free, no disturb to your partner when you’re reading in bed and offering eye-protection light for kids & bookworms.
- 3 Light Colors & 9 Levels - This mini book light has 3 light colors(white, warm white, mix light) and each color has 3 brightness levels(Low, Medium, High), 9 levels in total. Long press to control color temperature, short press to control brightness.
- Flexible Usage - This mini book lamp features flexible neck to adjust freely and sturdy base that you place it on the desk directly or clip it on multiple places like desk, table, shelf, music stand, headboard, bed pole, etc. The 1.8in wide clip is with adjustable anti-skid pad and max. Clamping range reaches 4cm/1.57in.
Rechargeable 16 LED Book Light, Clip-on Reading Light, Flexible Desk Lamp with Touch Switch, 3 Level Brightness Eye-Care, up to 8 Hours Reading. Great for bookworms and kids.
The AMIR Book Light has a unique design that includes 16 LED light bulbs. These many bulbs produce a soft, eye-caring light that is safe to use, produces less strain, and prevents flickering.
Because there is not just one bulb, it also has anti-glare properties, so you won’t get eye fatigue as you might with other light sources, and you’ll be able to use it at any time of day. In addition, the reading lamp has touch-sensitive controls that make changing the settings easy.
With the touch-sensitive control on this reading light, you can adjust the brightness up to three levels. Also on this device is a smart dimming sensor that allows you to adjust the brightness based on the brightness of the room.
The book light is made from a free-twist tube that can be rotated up to 360 degrees, and the attached clamp can clip onto books, tablets, and other objects up to 5 centimeters in width. In addition, the battery has a very high capacity.
It is a 1,000 mah lithium battery that is both energy-saving and environmentally friendly. With the light on a low setting, you can use it up to eight hours, and at its brightest setting, you can use it for two hours.
- Eye protection system
- Touch-sensitive controls
- Flexible gooseneck
- Easy to clip on
- Extraordinary battery life
WITHit Portable Disc Reading Light
- EASY TO SECURE: The WITHit Disc Reading Light is designed to fasten to books and e-book units easily and securely.
- FLEXIBLE NECK DESIGN: The light emitting from this book light fully illuminates the book pages and screen thanks to a flexible neck design.
- REDUCED GLARE: The design and shape of this reading light illuminate e-book devices like Kindles and the pages of books with reduced glare. This allows you to read in complete darkness and produces less strain on your eyes.
WITHit LED Reading Light – Purple – LED Book Light with Chrome Neck for Books, E-Readers, and E-Books
The WITHit Disc Reading Light attaches easily to any flat surface and is designed to be used with books, gadgets, and other thin objects. There is a semi-flexible neck design that can be bent and adjusted to make it easier for you.
The model is lightweight and weighs only 2.4 ounces, unlike other types of reading lights. It is extremely convenient to bring to work or school.
The reading light is designed to produce a light that is glare-reducing and can help illuminate the natural lighting of ebooks and other devices. With this feature, you can comfortably read on tablets or other electronics in complete darkness without straining your eyes.
The battery is a durable lithium coin cell that charges quickly and lasts a few hours. Portable and lightweight, the unit can be folded up and placed in a bag or on another device.
- Easy to secure, store, and carry around
- Reduced glare
- Cost-effective maintenance
- Lightweight and compact
- Stiff neck
What to Consider When Choose Book Reading Light
To choose the right book light, you need to know what type of environment you’ll be reading in. All book lights may seem the same, but they are specifically designed for use in different settings.
Other models enhance the lighting of other objects such as Kindles, tablets, and other electronics. Some are designed to be used in dark environments, while others enhance the lighting of other objects.
Furthermore, you will find that the neck isn’t adjustable on all models and that the brightness and tones of light vary. Book lights come in two types based on their power source: corded and battery.
Those with cords are useful if you’re not planning on going anywhere. So long as you have an electrical outlet next to your bed, you can use it. It has the downside that you must have a power source wherever you use it, and the cord may not be long enough to reach across the room.
The upside is that you don’t have to worry about the battery running out while you need a light source during an emergency.
Batteries-powered lights can also be convenient if you can remember to charge them before they run out of power. With a USB charger, you can charge the battery from an adaptable port or from your PC.
A rechargeable reading light comes in many varieties, but newer models tend to have a longer battery life, ranging from 30 to 60 hours. There’s no need to worry about running out of light for a couple of days.
Light Source Type
There are several different types of lighting sources on the market. Modern reading lights are often equipped with LED lighting systems that are either white or warm.
LED stands for light-emitting diode, and while we could go over the science behind these lights, the simple explanation is that they focus light in one direction.
White lights are fluorescent lights with a white hue, which are useful for studying and as desk lights. Finally, there is a warm light that has a yellow color and is easy on the eyes, and allows you to fall asleep.
You’ll only find two types of materials in modern book lights, ones made from plastic or ones made from a faux metal exterior. Models made from plastic are more durable than other types, and you can expect them to last a few years if you don’t abuse them.
Metal book lights can be heavy, so they are best for reading on desks, tables, or on your headboard, as they can be difficult to hold for long periods.
The first kind of book light looks like a regular lamp that you can place on a nightstand. This type of reading light isn’t ideal because it doesn’t direct the light in one direction and may keep your loved ones or roommate awake while you’re reading. They do provide optimal amounts of light, but the brightness is not usually adjustable.
Next, there is the “clip-on” light, which clamps to the book. In many newer models, the clamps feature silicone padding. This type of padding prevents the pages from getting damaged or wrinkled, making it an excellent choice for those of you who want to keep their books in excellent condition.
Wattage varies from model to model. It’s possible to find LED lights that use a 0.66-watt power consumption on the low end. Another type uses three watts on the high end. Depending on the battery type, how long the light lasts, and how quickly the unit charges, this value might change.
Book Light FAQs
How to choose a book light?
It is important to select a book light that is suitable for the type of reading environment you have. Some of us forget how much our reading environment impacts the type of light required, the amount of light, and if it should be portable or plug-in.
Rechargeable book lights are excellent if you’re on the go and want to read while you’re on the go since you won’t need to sit next to an outlet, and the batteries will last up to a few days.
The wall lights are easy to use if you plan to use them in bed. It’s best to look for one with a padded clamp, especially if you want to keep your books in good condition.
How many lumens needed for reading lights?
Lumens are a measurement of brightness. We can’t explain how lumens work, but we can provide you with a summary of what bulb wattages you can choose.
40 watts = 450 lumens
60 watts = 800 lumens
75 watts = 1,100 lumens
100 watts = 1,600 lumens
What color light is best for reading?
Since the early 1990s, there has been debate over which color of light is best for your eyes. Modern technology has revealed that certain colors can be harmful to your eyes and can even worsen existing eye conditions.
To that end, warm lighting that has a dimmer brightness or a yellow tone works best for reading. The light causes less strain on your eyes and allows you to comfortably read with a light source that won’t keep you up at night.
What wattage light bulb do I need for reading?
As your eyes age, you will need brighter sources of light when you read, so the recommended wattage for reading is 100 watts. When purchasing a reading light for a child or young adult, you can go as low as 40 watts.
There is no perfect method for selecting the wattage, so try different types until you find one that is comfortable for you. Higher wattage produces a brighter light that helps illuminate the text on the page.
Lights for reading differ from brand to brand, so finding one that suits your reading environment may take some time. Nevertheless, always choose a book light that has a brightness or wattage that corresponds to your age, lifestyle, and reading habits.
Following the tips we have given, you will be able to find a book light that suits your specific needs. As a result, you save time and effort when it comes to researching and finding one you like.
Having said that, the ones we reviewed and compared above are excellent options in their own right, but if we had to pick one, we’d say the CeSunlight LED Book Light is the best. It has rechargeable batteries that are durable and able to adjust brightness. Additionally, it is lightweight and compact enough to be carried around.