Everyone should have a garden hose in their house for a variety of reasons. Your garden may become a temporary water park on hot days if your plants get enough water from the sprinklers.
It’s important to have a strong, long-lasting hose in order to get the best results. A Florida Master Gardener and volunteer groundskeeper at 35-acre Bonnet House Museum and Gardens explain that “the most important features to consider.
When choosing a hose are the material (rubber, vinyl, or polyurethane), the thickness of the hose (two-ply hoses are the least strong and six-ply hoses are the strongest), and finally the couplings, also known as fittings, and the material they are made of (metal or plastic).”
A rubber hose, according to Jors, “should last a very long time and provide for joyful gardening” if it is properly kept, “ideally on a reel,” and drained after each use.
Top 5 Bestseller Hose
Seven hoses were put through their paces, and only four emerged as the clear winners. Our testing approach is detailed here. To learn more about how to buy and maintain a garden hose, check out our FAQs.
Top 10 Best Hose Reviews
Zero-G 5/8 in. D X 50 ft. L Black Aluminum Garden Hose
- 50% Lighter Weight than commercial vinyl hoses
- Kink-Free, Easy to Maneuver and Store
- High-Burst, High-Flow Rated
Zero-set G’s of two 50-foot garden hoses is the best standard 5/8-inch garden hose on the market today, providing great durability, safety, and service. You may either use the hoses on their own or link them for a total of 100 feet (other lengths and diameters might be available). The hoses include a flexible inner vinyl core that is suitable for drinking water and is wrapped in a thick layer of high-density woven fibers.
At 36 degrees Fahrenheit, zero-burst G’s rating is 600 psi, making it one of the most durable hoses on the market. To ensure long-term use, the attachment fittings are composed of aluminum and have brass inserts. Each hose is 10 pounds in weight.
Grace Green Lead in Hose,Hybrid 5/8 in.×10FT Short Garden Hose
- EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE – Extreme all-weather flexibility up to -40℉ makes it easy to maneuver around trees, bushes or other obstacles. It’s Kink free,lead free, lay flat with no memory
- HANDLES EASILY - Included Easy storing hanger perfectly hold the hose nicely, prevents from twisting, tangling or kinking.Both end ergonomic swivel grip make twisting on/off an outdoor water spigot very efficient.
- EXTREMELY DURABLE – Durable and abrasion-resistant outer cover and crush resistant fittings.150PSI working pressure and 450PSI bursting pressure.Recommended using at residential water pressure
In colder locations, the Grace Green Garden hose is excellent for usage since it is kink-resistant and elastic down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit. The hose has a diameter of 5/8 inch and a length of 100 feet (other lengths may be available).
The flexible vinyl core that’s 30% lighter than rubber and an abrasion-resistant outer cover that’s resistant to UV, ozone, and cracking are some of the benefits of this product’s design.
Attachment fittings on the Grace Green Garden Hose are crush-resistant. Comfortable and ergonomic handles are provided at both ends of the hose, allowing you to use it without straining your wrists.
In addition, the hose comes with a zinc-alloy spray cannon and an adjustable hanging strap for storing it safely in loops when it isn’t being used.. The weight of the Grace Green Garden hose is 15.05.
GrowGreen Expandable Garden Hose with High Pressure Hose Spray Nozzle
- Space Efficient Garden Hose: This water hose starts out very short and expands up to 3 times its size when under standard water pressure, but returns in seconds to its original compact length after the water is out.
- A Garden Hose Designed To Improve Your Gardening Experience: The GrowGreen expandable garden hose will never tangle, twist, or kink. This Flexible Garden Hose is compact and easy to store away.
- Hose Spray Nozzle Included: The GrowGreen Garden Hose includes our 8 pattern, high pressure hose spray nozzle. Made with all brass connectors, excellent corrosion resistance and durable quality.
The price of a good garden hose doesn’t have to be prohibitively expensive.. When the water is turned off, the GrowGreen Expandable Garden Hose shrinks to a third of its original length and weighs less than 3 pounds.
The GrowGreen has a latex inner tube and a woven fiber outer cover. To ensure leak-free connections, it comes with strong brass attachment fittings.
In order to utilize the GrowGreen with most lawn sprinklers, the hose must be in its extended position until it is filled with water. There is an 8-pattern, trigger-type spray nozzle on the hose, which allows you to customize the spray pattern to suit your needs.
Cromtac Stainless steel 304 garden hose, no kink explosion
- Portable and lightweight：Lightweight metal shell, can be dragged on any material floor to work where you need it. Easy to transport and store.
- strong and sturdy：Prevent punctures, will not be bitten by dogs, will not be easily torn, and will not kink! But don't try to crush it with a car
- Connectable interface：Each hose has connectors on both sides for easy connection to other equipment. Not only can various joints be connected, but also two hoses can be connected together to extend the hose.
The Re Cromtac Garden Hose is protected by a stainless steel external cover that prevents punctures and abrasions from Rover’s teeth. In comparison to other versions, the flexible inner tube has a diameter of 3/8 of an inch. Hand-watering and attaching it to a fixed sprinkler are also possible.
The Cromtac weighs less than 8 pounds and measures 50 feet in length. If more length is necessary, connect two of the hoses together or look for additional hose lengths that may be available. On the reel or by hand for storage, the brass connection fittings are easy to use and secure.
Zoflaro Garden Hose 50ft, Expandable Water Hose 50 feet with 10 Function Spray Nozzle
- 3 Times Expanding Design: With water pressure the expanding water hose will extend up to 3 times of its original length that from 17 to 50 feet in length, and then it will contract to its original length when water pressure is off. The flexible expandable design makes the water hose 50 feet very convenient to both use and store.
- High-Quality Material: This garden hose 50ft uses a high-density 4-layer latex core and a very strong, abrasion resistant, 3750D polyester fabric cover that prevents wear and leakage. The hose’s superior construction materials can withstand water pressures of up to 175 PSI. The 50 ft garden hose allows it to be used in almost any weather. The flexible 3750D polyester fabric cover, not only prevents leaks but will also never allow those annoying tangles, twists or kinks.
- 10 Function Spray Nozzle: The Zoflaro flexible expandable hose comes with a spray nozzle offering 10 rather than the usual 8 or 9 spray patterns found on other nozzles. You can choose the nozzle mode according to the job at hand. It has: Full, Flat, Shower, Cone, Jet, Soaker, Angle, Mist, 1/2 vert and Center modes for your every need. The nozzle’s anti-slip rubber design gives an excellent grip that prevents the nozzle from slipping out of your hand.
You may store the Zoflaro Expandable Hose in a small space, but when filled with water, it expands to 50 feet long. Is there a larger option? Zoflaro has four layers of high-density latex within, and a polyester-woven cover provides both abrasion resistance and leak-proofing. Because this expanding hose is meant to be used with handheld sprayers, not stationary ones, it is not recommended for use with an irrigation system that is stationary.
With its trigger-type spray nozzle, the Zoflaro can spray water in a variety of patterns, including jet, flat, and shower. For long-term use and leak-free connections, it has robust brass attachment fittings. The hose is only 2.73 pounds in weight.
Flexzilla Garden Hose with SwivelGrip
With the Flexzilla Drinking Water Safe Hose, you can fill your dogs’ water bowls or stop and take a sip directly from the hose without fear of dangerous pollutants leaching into the water.
The Flexzilla hose has a diameter of 5/8 inch and a length of 50 feet, however, alternative lengths may be offered. It weighs approximately 8 pounds and is easy to loop and hang on a wall hook for convenient storage.
Rather of twisting the entire hose, the Flexzilla hose has a SwivelGrip motion that allows the user to untwist a coiled one simply twisting the grip. A flexible hybrid polymer hose is engineered to remain elastic even in cold weather, and the innermost tube is safe for drinking water. For long-term use, the fittings are made of crush-resistant aluminum.
YAMATIC Kink Resistant Garden Hose 5/8 in x 30 ft
- Super Flexible and Light Weight - Innovation hybrid material designed for your home and industry all-weather (-40° to 140°F) super flexible experience under pressure. Magic flexibility material provides no permanent kink memory when laid flat even with no pressure.
- Sturdy and Durable - Integrated with industry engineering, stand up to Burst 600 PSI / Work 200 PSI, top-level strengthen hose than similar. Come with heavy-duty solid brass 3/4" GHT one female end and one male end, support you widely work from home garden to commercial work for long years.
- Easy to maneuver - This fantastic flexible material allows the water hose to uncoil and lay flat as soon as first use and to snap back into shape to fight kinks as you drag it across the lawn, making it easy to maneuver around your garden.
With the YAMATIC Garden Hose’s patented No Permanent Kink Memory (NPKM), the hose does not kink or twist on itself, making it easier to use.
There is no need to tug the hose straight, as the water pressure will straighten it out and eliminate any kinks, leaving you with a hose capable of withstanding 600 psi of water pressure without breaking.
The YAMATIC hose has a diameter of 5/8 inch and a length of 30 feet. Infused with UV protectants, the hose is composed of bright orange polyurethane that will keep it flexible for a long time. A solid brass connection is included in the package, and it weighs 8.21 pounds.
Rocky Mountain Goods Flat Soaker Hose
- Heavy duty double layer design with PVC liner covered in extra strength fabric
- Conserves 70% water by getting water directly to root and avoiding evaporation
- 100% Environmental friendly weeper hose vinyl for vegetable gardens and plants
The Rocky Mountain Goods Flat Soaker Hose delivers water straight to the roots of garden and landscape plants. An extra-strength cloth is used to cover a flexible PVC lining, which is engineered to weep. At the root of the plant, this arrangement delivers a steady yet slow flow of water.
When not in use, the hose rolls up into a compact 11-and-a-half-inch diameter tube. It measures 25 feet in length and only weighs 12 ounces. Gardeners may save up to 70 percent more water by utilizing this soaker hose instead of a fixed lawn sprinkler, which has a higher rate of evaporation and larger lost water runoff, compared to a soaker hose.
Briggs and Stratton 8BS75 75-Foot Premium Heavy-Duty Rubber Garden Hose
- 75-feet length
- Crush-proof heavy duty couplings
- Industrial-style reinforcing for high burst strength
You can rely on the Briggs & Stratton Premium Rubber Garden Hose, which is resistant to kinking and remains flexible even at temperatures as low as -25 degrees Fahrenheit. Power washers, sprinklers, and portable wand and nozzle attachments may all be used with this industrial-style hose. It can endure water pressures of up to 500 psi without breaking.
In addition to being 75 feet long, the Briggs & Stratton 5/8-inch hose weights 14.06 pounds. Possibly, other lengths are also available. All general-purpose watering demands may be met by this hose, which comes with nickel-plated brass attachment fittings that are resistant to crushing.
Giraffe Hybrid Garden Hose 5/8″ x 100ft
- 【Light Weight】Expertly developed hybrid material from rubber and polymer, the lawn hose is lighter than traditional rubber hose while being abrasion-resistant and durable.
- 【Swivel Grip】The movable handle allows the hose to rotate freely to prevent twisting, the handle can also fix the fitting to make the connection with faucet/nozzle/sprinkler more easily and effortlessly.
- 【Leak Proof】Professional nickel-plated brass fittings prevent leaks and are crush resistant. Note that two ends are MALE and FEMALE connectors.
This garden hose is designed for heavy-duty use and may be used for watering big areas. Although lesser lengths may be available, the diameter is the typical 58-inch, and it is 100 feet in length overall.
The hose has a maximum water pressure of 150 psi (no burst rate is available). Handgrips on both ends of the hose make it easy to attach the hose.
There are three layers of polymer in the Giraffe hose: an inside layer that keeps the hose supple even in the cold, an outer weaving layer to prevent it from twisting up, and a protective top layer. The hose is 13.5 lbs in weight.
Things to Consider When Choosing The Best Hose
Garden hoses are available in a variety of lengths, and some are more suited for watering or cleaning specific plants than others. Whether you’re searching for a hose that drips water at the base of your landscaping plants or a sprinkler system that covers your entire yard, the appropriate one is out there. You can find it here.
Types of Garden Hoses
The variety of garden hoses on the market has expanded over the past decade, with lightweight, low-cost hoses for minor watering tasks and heavy-duty versions for more regular or high-pressure watering requirements. It’s possible to obtain garden hoses with expandable lengths that can be retracted to a third of their original length for storage. The sort of hose you need depends depend on what you want to use it for.
- Light Duty: A light-duty hose may suffice for tiny yards or patios with only a few potted plants or raised beds to water. It’s easy to keep these hoses on a hook in the garage because they are low in weight (about 2 to 4 pounds).
- Standard: These garden hoses, often known as “medium duty,” are designed for general grass watering. They are heavier than light-duty hoses (between 4 and 10 pounds) and may be best stored on a hose reel rather than a hook, depending on length.
- Heavy-Duty: Heavy-duty garden hoses are made of stronger materials and are more resistant to kinking, making them ideal for use with pressure washers. In comparison to regular and light-duty hoses, they might cost as much as twice as much.
- Expandable: An up-and-comer on the scene, flexible and lightweight expandable hoses are built from pliable materials that shrink when not in use. The hoses, on the other hand, stretch to their maximum length of 25 to 50 feet when filled with water. Pots and raised beds may be watered using wands and sprinklers attached to them.
- Soaker: Any other sort of hose wastes more water than this one. As opposed to using a sprinkler, a soaker hose sends water straight to the roots of the plants. One of the most popular choices for landscaping raised beds, and rows of vegetables is a soaker hose.
- Flat: Flat hoses are easy to roll up and store since they are tubular while filled with water, but revert to their flat shape when they are empty. For basic watering and sprinkling, as well as for soaker hoses, flat hoses are ideal.
25 to 75 feet is the most often used garden hose length. Because of this, they are able to access most sections of a typical yard. Many people find it difficult to store and roll up hoses that are more than 100 feet long. Hoses can be difficult to move, therefore it may be wiser to buy numerous shorter hoses and link them as needed to cover a greater distance. The longer the hose is, the less water it can provide.
Shorter hoses are beneficial for individuals with low water pressure at the tap. In order to establish an above-ground watering system, you’ll need a shorter connecting hose that measures between 6 and 10 feet in length.
Most outdoor water supply sources are compatible with hoses with a diameter of 5/8 inch. It’s possible to get greater water volume out of a wider hose, but the pressure of the water exiting the hose will decrease. Make certain that the spigot has sufficient water pressure before purchasing a wide hose. Narrow hoses, less than half an inch in diameter, are ideal for low-pressure spigots.
A few hose attachment fittings are designed to suit 34-inch connections, although the majority are designed to fit conventional 5/8-inch connectors. In order to connect to both sizes of fittings, some manufacturers provide a fitting adjuster. Adjusters can be purchased at hardware and home improvement stores if necessary.
Choosing hose materials that are both waterproof and pliable are the most crucial considerations.
- Rubber: Rubber is one of the best materials for a garden hose, but it is also the heaviest and most expensive. Rubber is a common component in high-end hoses.
- Vinyl: Manufacturers use vinyl because it is more flexible and lighter than rubber. The embedded mesh may be used to increase the product’s strength and longevity.
- Latex: Latex, like vinyl, is both waterproof and flexible. In garden hoses that have some kind of protective cover, it is commonplace to utilize it.
- Polyurethane: Polyurethane hoses are watertight and resistant to kinks and leaks when partnered with flexible additives.
- Reinforced: Reinforcement can be achieved by encasing the inner hose in solid rings or by coating it with tough woven fibers for increased strength when using vinyl hose material.
- Stainless steel: Coils of stainless steel protect the waterproof membrane inside the hose while maintaining its flexibility and durability. If you prefer to water your plants by hand rather than using a sprinkler, a stainless steel hose is the best option.
- Drinking water–safe: It’s possible that those who need a short sip of water from the hose while they’re working on gardening or other duties might want to consider a hose that is safe to drink from.
Some (not all) garden hoses include a “burst pressure” rating that indicates how much internal water pressure the hose can withstand before bursting. Most residential residences have a faucet pressure of 45-80 psi, however, the actual water pressure in the hose may be significantly greater if the spigot is left on and the hose is full.
If used often, most residential hoses should have a burst pressure of at least 350 psi. Low-cost hoses may have burst pressure ratings as low as 200 psi, whereas high-end hoses may reach 600 psi.
Some hoses list operating pressures rather than burst pressures, which range from 50 to 150 psi. They only show the average pressure the hose can withstand when water is flowing in and out. We propose 80 psi or greater operating pressure.
Many medium- and heavy-duty hoses come with brass, aluminum, or stainless steel couplings or fittings. Plastic fittings on light-duty hoses often do not survive as long as better-quality fittings. Aside from screw-type connections, certain hoses have quick-connect push-type connectors that make connecting and disconnecting hoses straightforward.
When buying hoses, consider if you’ll need to connect them. Some soaker hoses have only one fitting—the one that connects to the water source. If you need to connect several soaker hoses, search for versions with both ends coupling.
A drinking water–safe hose is recommended for individuals who fill dogs’ watering bowls or drink from the hose end. These hoses contain no chemicals that may leak into the water, so the water is as safe when it enters as when it leaves. It’s common to see labels like “BPA-free,” “lead-free,” and “phthalate-free.”
What size hose should you buy?
How far away you are from a water source and how big your grass has a role in this decision. Lawn care subscription business Sunday founder Coulter Lewis recommends using a hose with a minimum length of 50 feet.
“You’ll need at least a 50-foot hose for a lawn between 500 and 2,000 square feet. An 80-foot or longer garden hose will be enough for most lawns, especially those that are between two and five acres.
Purchase two shorter hoses or an additional short extension hose to join as needed for more adaptability “That’s his opinion, she said. A 50-foot hose was the primary emphasis for this instruction. Shorter and longer versions are also available.
What’s the best material for a garden hose?
Rubber, polyurethane, and vinyl are the most popular materials used to make hose bodies. Jors made the comment “In general, rubber is a more flexible material, but it’s also the heaviest one. However, it is less vulnerable to wounds and can withstand rough terrain.”
Polyurethane and other hybrid composite materials are preferable if you want something lighter, more kink-resistant, and safe for drinking water. Because vinyl is the least expensive fabric option, it’s also the most fragile.
The section of the hose that connects to the water source or another hose should be made of metal. “For the best results, choose materials such as facetted nickel-plated brass or stainless steel. Plastic couplings, although being less costly, are prone to cracking under excessive use “said that Jors in a sarcastic tone.
How do you reduce and get rid of kinks in your hose?
The less likely it is that your hose will get tangled, the better. Jors suggests using a hose reel in addition to rubber or polyurethane to wind the hose in a controlled manner.
Do you need a garden hose nozzle for your hose?
Adding a nozzle to your hose is strongly recommended. You may save water by using a nozzle to control the water flow. As a result, it aids you in distributing the correct amount of water for the work at hand (e.g., power washing a deck vs. watering delicate flowers). Garden hose nozzles are evaluated here.
What’s the best way to store and extend the longevity of your hose?
Proper garden hose storage, according to Jors, “will enhance its lifespan.” “A hose reel or a hose hanger is what I like. A hose hanger or hose reel can be used to keep the hose off the ground while it’s not in use.” Drain your hose after each use and before putting it away for the winter. Your hose can be damaged by both hot and freezing water.
For most homes, the Craftsman Premium Rubber Garden Hose, measuring 50 feet in length, is an excellent choice because of its robust rubber construction, which allows it to be used in temperatures as low as 25 degrees below zero. If you enjoy expanding hoses, the J&B Lawn XpandaHose can be folded back to 1/3 of its maximum length when not in use, making it simple and compact to store when not in use.