I used to be one of those people who didn’t understand the importance of ironing boards. I would buy steam irons but none of them would work well and so, I kept spending money until a friend asked me to give ironing boards a try. On my very first steam ironing experience after that purchase, it was as if my life had been changed.
Not a lot of people know that a good ironing board is important to ensure that your ironworks are at their most efficient. The thing is – all ironing boards look exactly the same but little features and details can make a world of difference. If you have a bad ironing board but a great iron, you would still have wrinkles on your clothes, no matter how much money you spend on choosing the right iron. So, as a tip, never skimp on this one area and read our detailed ironing board reviews to buy the best ironing board.
In order to bring this best ironing board guide to you, a lot of research has been conducted and as a result, the following points were listed for your use.
Top 10 Bestseller Ironing Boards
No products found.
Types of Ironing Boards
Folding Ironing Board
If you look for a top-rated ironing board, you would mostly come across this category because it is quite popular.
These ironing boards come equipped with legs that are collapsable. Thus, when the ironing is done, they are folded back into a compact shape and stored away. There can be 4 legs or wishbone-style legs in these boards.
Easy to Move
Because of the foldable nature of these ironing boards, they can be moved around the house, depending on the requirements. This is why they are ideal for people who don’t have much arm strength.
Quite Sturdy and Lightweight
Folding ironing boards are pretty sturdy and do not cause any problems with durability. Some options are also lightweight so moving them around is quite easy and fuss-free.
Most folding ironing boards have a feature that allows the height to be adjusted, depending on who is using the board. The heights typically adjust to a couple of inches.
Wall Mounted Ironing Board
This board is becoming increasingly popular because of its benefits. Other names for this board include in-wall ironing board, built-in ironing boards, and ironing board cabinet.
Ideal for Small Houses
These are the best ironing boards for people who have a small living space and have to make do with the space they have. The board is folded against the wall and doesn’t come out until it needs to be used.
There is no need to move the board around as it is fixed to a wall or walk-in closet. As such, it is extremely convenient to use and put away.
Sturdy and Strong
These boards are sturdy and can hold ample weight without being unstable. A lot of the sturdiness also depends on the installation of these boards.
Tabletop Ironing Board
This is the best iron board for those people who wish their board to be mobile.
Small in Size
The size of this board is quite small and while that saves space, it also makes it difficult to iron clothes on this board.
Ideal for Small Spaces
This board is mostly seen in the dorm room of students because a number of people would be using the board and, as such, they need it to be small and easy to store.
Because of the style and purpose of this board, a tabletop ironing board is extremely lightweight and compact in size.
Sits on the Counter or Table
This kind of ironing board is placed on top of a counter, tabletop, or flat surface.
Best Folding Ironing Boards
Rowenta IB9100 Pro
No products found.
There is a reason why this Rowenta iron board is the best folding ironing board and here are some of its top features to look out for:
- XL Size – When it comes to ironing boards, larger is always better because there is that much space to iron clothes on top of the board. This Rowenta ironing board comes in an XL (Extra Large) professional size with a 54 x 18-inch surface.
- Great Stability and Compact Size – Since this is a folding board, it can be folded to become compact and can be stored in any storage space. The legs offer ample stability, as is true for all Rowenta ironing boards.
- Professional Features – This is a Rowenta professional ironing board and that is why it has some advanced features as well. These include height adjustability between 27 and 37 inches, wheels for mobility, a huge steam station, and hanger racks.
- Iron Rest – This pro board also has a place to rest the iron which is a convenient feature.
Brabantia Ironing Board
No products found.
This is a folding ironing board by Brabantia and is especially meant for professional cum home use. Here are its top features:
- Large Size With Stability – The size of the iron board is ergonomically designed and comes up to 49 x 18 inches. The board is extremely stable and the 4 legs are 0.98 inches in diameter, adding more stability.
- Transport Lock and Child Lock – The ironing board comes with two kinds of locks – a transport lock for ensuring that the board doesn’t move when it is stored, and a child lock for the safety of children in the house. The board will not collapse on anyone accidentally.
- Iron Rest and Other Useful Features – An iron rest is offered with the board along with great features like slip-resistant strips and heat resistant body. The height of the board can be adjusted to 4 different levels between 30 and 38 inches. It comes with a cotton cover and has viscose/foam padding. The padding is replaceable.
Household Essentials Fibertech Ironing Board
No products found.
This is an affordable ironing board from Household Essentials and comes with the following features:
- Large Surface With Sleeve Board – The Fibertech surface measures up to 49 x 18 inches and a sleeve board is attached so that sleeves can be ironed separately on this board. The legs of this board are made from metal and add sturdiness to the board.
- Iron Rest – To ensure that the iron, especially steam irons, can be placed on the board without tipping over, the board comes with an iron rest.
- Eco-Friendly Board – This is an eco-friendly ironing board and the cover is made from 100% cotton. There is ample fiber padding of 6mm thickness on the board for a smooth ironing experience. The pads are resistant to heat.
- Leg Lock – A lock is provided for ensuring the utmost safety of the board during storage. The leg lock is quite sturdy in itself.
Reliable C30 Ironing Board
No products found.
This Reliable ironing board has a unique design which makes it one of the best ironing boards to buy. It has the following features:
- Large Surface – The surface of the iron is quite large and measures up to 47.25 x 18.9 inches. The frame is tube-shaped and the design of the leg is in wishbone style which is known to be quite stable.
- Height Adjustments – The height of the board can be adjusted between 30 and 38 inches which means that people who are quite tall (or short) would be comfortably able to use this ironing board.
- Iron Tray – The iron tray of this board is folded on the underside and can be pulled back to rest the iron. This feature saves storage space.
- Poly-Cotton Cover With Felt Pads – The cover of the board is made from polyester and cotton for ensuring wrinkle-free results. It also has felt padding of 500 gms.
Monster IB40-G Ironing Board
No products found.
This is another good ironing board from Monster that comes with a host of features and capabilities.
- Heated Surface – The surface of the board is made from heated aluminum which ensures the results of ironing are absolutely professional and wrinkle-free.
- Blowing System – For ironing delicate fabrics, the board gently blows some air so that wrinkles can be smoothed out by simply using steam. There is no need to go for dry cleaning for fabrics like silk and wool with this ironing board.
- Suction System – Ironing time is reduced by the suction system of the board that ensures the steam from the iron passes through the clothes effortlessly and wrinkles are ironed without any effort.
- Compact Size – The ironing surface is ergonomic and stable at 45.5 x 19.5 inches but when it is folded, it comes up to a mere 5.5 inches in thickness.
Best Wall Mounted Ironing Board
Household Essentials StowAway In-Wall Ironing Board
No products found.
This is the best wall-mounted ironing board for users who want a host of features because it offers great value for money.
- Large Ironing Surface With Storage Compartments – The iron board’s dimensions are 40 x 12 inches and to install the entire unit, around 5 feet of space has to be cleared out on the wall. It comes with multiple compartments where the iron and ironing essentials can be stored.
- 180 Degree Rotation – When the ironing board is pulled out of the wall, it can be rotated smoothly to 180 degrees, depending on the position that is most appropriate. It is a huge space saver for small apartments.
- Fiber Pad and Other Useful Features – The board has fiber pads with bungee fastenings. The height of the board is adjustable and can be achieved by simply sliding it to the desired height. It comes with a Nanomax cover as well.
Here’s a video that explains in detail how to install a Household Essentials StowAway ironing board:
Hafele America Wall-Mounted Ironing Board
No products found.
This wall mount ironing board is a great purchase for home users who desire quality features in their board without any frills.
- Wide Ironing Surface and Compact Storage – It is easy to mount this unit to the wall and the manual that comes with the product explains all the installation steps in detail. The board is approximately 38 x 11.5 inches in dimensions and when folded, it becomes extremely compact at 20 x 12 inches (approximately). For best results, professionals should install the cabinet.
- Sturdy Steel Body – The body of this ironing board is quite sturdy as it is made from steel and then coated with epoxy.
- 180 Degree Rotation – The board can be rotated left or right for ease of use.
- Lightweight and Comes With Cover – The board is extremely lightweight and, according to best ironing board reviews, is beneficial to people with backaches or those who can’t lift traditional ironing boards. A cloth cover comes with the board.
Household Essentials Over-The-Door Ironing Board
No products found.
This is the best built-in ironing board because of the little things in its design that make it quite convenient and easy to use.
- Self Retracting – This ironing board is made from steel and comes with a self-retracting feature that can be activated by using a lever. This is a feature that is not common with other brands.
- Iron Holder – There is a built-in iron holder that comes with this over the door board and this ensures that the iron can be stored with the board when necessary.
- Compact and Saves Space – The ironing surface of the board is quite compact at 24 x 14 inches and the steel frame that comes with it is 44 x 14 inches. Because of the small size of the board and the frame, it can easily fit on any door and is particularly ideal for small houses.
Southern Enterprises Wall Mount Ironing Center
No products found.
This ironing board cabinet might be there to save space but it is so beautifully constructed that even people with larger homes prefer it.
- Large Board With Compact Storage – The board’s dimensions are not too small at 38 x 14 inches but when it is folded, the dimensions of the storage cabinet are 42 x 16 x 7 inches. It looks like a cabinet and can be installed in the bedroom because of its design.
- Mirror Front with Hanger – The front of the board doubles as a mirror because of its finish while the inside has a hanger with 2 hooks for hanging clothes.
- Storage Shelves – There are storage shelves inside the cabinet when the board is pulled out and these can be used to store ironing essentials.
- Already Assembled – The board is already assembled and just needs to be fixed on the desired wall. Professional installation is recommended.
Iron-a-Way Wall Mount Ironing Board Center
No products found.
This is one of the more basic wall-mounted boards but it has all the features that a household may need:
- Large Board With Cabinet – The board measures 42 x 12 inches and the cabinet is 48 x 14.5 x 2.5 inches in dimension. The size makes it easy to iron fabrics without making any compromises. The cabinet is made using natural birch which is beautiful. There is no finishing on the wood.
- Silicone Treated Board Cover – The cover of the board is extra durable and resistant to heat because of the silicone treatment it has undergone. This makes it extra durable.
- No Leg Design – The ironing board is quite stable even though it has a no-leg design. It can be used to save up time on ironing and also helps to utilize flats with limited space.
- Sturdy – The unit is not lightweight but it is quite durable in its build and design, and quite possibly the best sturdy ironing board that is wall mounted.
Best Tabletop Ironing Board
Honey-Can-Do Collapsible BRD-01435 Tabletop Ironing Board
No products found.
This is the best tabletop ironing board simply because it delivers everything it promises with its features and extremely affordable price.
- Compact Size – This tabletop ironing board is conveniently sized, unlike other tabletop ironing boards that are too small and unusable. It is 31 x 12 inches in size and can be easily placed on top of any table or flat surface to get wrinkle-free ironing results.
- Flat Folding Design – The best thing about tabletop ironing boards like this one from Honey-Can-Do is that they are conveniently designed to save space in small flats, especially for students living in dorms. This board is designed in such a way that its leg collapses right underneath it.
- Foam Pad with Cotton Cover – The foam pad is easy for ironing while the cotton cover can withstand heat from the iron without any hassles. Reviewers have mentioned that the fitting of the cover is particularly good.
Household Essentials Steel Tabletop Ironing Board
No products found.
This is the best small ironing board for those users who want multiple storage options for their tabletop board. It comes with the following features:
- Hook Storage – This ironing board can be hung over a door of any size and would be out of the way, without needing any additional space in the house.
- Iron Rest – Despite its affordable price, it comes with an iron rest that can be used for resting the iron during pressing. This adds safety to the board.
- Sturdy Steel Body – The ironing board is made from steel and is quite lightweight. It is also created using a unique mesh design which especially helps while using a steam iron because it allows the steam to pass through the fabric.
- Adequately Sized – The board is decently compact at 31.8 x 12.8 inches. The cover that comes with this board is silicone coated and can withstand quite a lot of heat from a steam iron.
Polder Deluxe Tabletop Ironing Board
No products found.
This best lightweight ironing board by Polder is another affordable option that is quite appropriate for offices because of its sleek and modern design.
- Retractable Iron Tray – The iron rest that comes with this board is retractable which is an interesting feature that other tabletop board brands do not consider to be the top priority. It adds safety and saves up on storage space without adding to the cost.
- Decently Sized Surface – The board is slightly longer than comparable models and is 32 x 12 inches in dimensions. The legs are folded underneath and are 6 inches high.
- Wooden Top – The body of the board is extremely sturdy and is made from wood which makes it eco-friendly.
- Foam Pad With Cover – The padding of the board is foam which ensures that fabrics can be easily pressed without wrinkles. The cover is made from 100% cotton which is another eco-friendly feature of this board.
Household Essentials Presswood Tabletop Ironing Board
No products found.
Household Essentials has another great tabletop ironing board that meets the bill with its essential features.
- Presswood Surface – The body of the board is wooden and the surface is quite smooth to iron clothes without worrying about snags or wrinkles.
- Cotton Cover and Fiber Padding – The board comes with a 100% cotton cover that withstands heat from steam irons. The padding material of the iron board is foam.
- Compact Size With Easy Storage – The size of the board is quite petite with the dimensions being 30 x 12 inches. It can be easily stored anywhere without any fuss.
- Lightweight With Folding Design – Because of the collapsible legs and folding design of the board, storage is a breeze. It is quite lightweight as well and this means that the board can be moved around effortlessly.
- Sturdy and Durable – Despite being lightweight, the construction of the board is quite sturdy. The wood is durable in nature.
Dritz Collapsible Tabletop Ironing Board
No products found.
This is the best compact ironing board that would easily handle a lot of wear and tear. Here are some of its amazing features:
- Scorch Resistant Cover – The cover comes with the board and is scorch resistant in nature, so there are no worries about the cover sticking to the board, the iron, and the clothes during steam ironing. This is especially important for synthetic fabrics.
- Heavy Duty and Sturdy – The construction of the board is quite sturdy and stable. It is made for heavy-duty use and would be ideal for home users, students, and office users.
- Hook Hanging Feature – The board can be easily stored due to its hook-hanging feature. It can be stored out of the way on top of any door and taken out to use when needed.
- Mesh Top – The top of the board is meshed instead of wood or metal which not only makes it lightweight but also ensures that steam ironing is a breeze.
- Large Size – The size of the board is quite large for tabletop models and its dimensions are 36 x 12 inches. The large size leads to great results.
May you also like: Best Portable Washing Machine
Factors To Consider When Buying Ironing Board
When you check out the best ironing boards, you should look at a few factors that would help you make the right choice. You should notice these factors when you go through reviews of ironing boards because otherwise, you would end up making the wrong purchase. Also, these factors state the best-case scenario.
For instance, if you live in a small flat, you have to compromise on the size of the board. However, you can change the type of the door to ensure that you get the best of both worlds.
These are the general considerations that separate the best iron board from mediocre ones:
When you look for an ironing board, the first thing you notice is the length. How big is the space where you would be ironing your clothes? Do you have a lot of space in the house or is space an issue? If your house or ironing space is extremely small, chances are that you would go for an ironing board that is smaller in size. On the other hand, if you have ample space, there is nothing to worry about. Here is how to settle the length debate of small vs. long ironing boards:
- Small Ironing Board – A small ironing board would have the benefit of taking up less space and if you live in a small flat or apartment, you could do with this. However, investing in a small ironing board would also mean that your ironing time would be extended and you would also add a lot of hassles to ironing. This could waste time and might be frustrating.
- Long Ironing Board – A long ironing board has the obvious disadvantage of taking up a lot of space because it is bigger in size. However, it comes with some top perks like making ironing easy and fuss-free. You would not waste any time adjusting your clothes on the board, as compared to a small ironing board. It would lead to much better results.
- Solution of Small vs. Long – There is no doubt about the fact that a small board is not the best ironing board in the world but what do you do when you simply don’t have any space? You can invest in a unit that is a built-in or wall-mounted ironing board. It would only come out when you need to use it and during the other times, it would be conveniently out of the way. You would also utilize some empty wall space.
Your ironing board has a covering material over which you place your clothes before ironing. The covering material must be of top quality so that it would be able to add some efficiency to the padding inside the board.
The textile must be able to withstand the heat from the iron without any problems. When you buy a cheap ironing board, it comes with a synthetic material. Remember that the wrong material could ruin your expensive ironing board and you might be forced to buy a new one.
Here are some things to know about regarding the textile material of the cover:
Synthetic Material Is The Worst – The cheapest boards have synthetic textile material. These materials are unable to stand the high heat from your iron. The result is that they stick to your board and end up melting onto your iron or your clothes. They will ruin your expensive clothes, your expensive iron, and your costly ironing board. It is never recommended to go for synthetic materials for this reason.
Silicone Coated, Metallic, or Cotton Material Is The Best – The best option is to go for a natural material like cotton that is sturdy and works fine under excessive heat. You can also go for covers that have a metallic coating because they would aid in ironing instead of obstructing the process. Materials coated with silicone are also brilliant because they can stand the high heat and also help to smooth out wrinkles from your clothes. If you have issues with how to sew an ironing board cover, check this article.
You Can Buy Additional Covers – It should be mentioned that you can invest in a cover yourself. Make sure that the material is of good quality and that the cover fits your ironing board well. It is best to have something stitched specifically for your ironing board or look for the model and manufacturer-specific covers when you look for the cover online.
What is the main reason behind your getting an ironing board? You obviously want to make the job a bit easier and wish to save valuable time while ironing clothes. After all, ironing is nobody’s favorite chore. However, without padding on your board, you would be making a useless investment.
Without padding, your board will not provide an efficient ironing experience and your iron would not be able to smooth over the fabric properly. Also, not all boards come with adequate padding. Here are some things you should know about the padding on your ironing board:
- Ideal Width of Padding – Ideally, the padding should not be less than 4mm because that width defeats the person having padding in the first place. The padding should be somewhere between 4 and 8 mm so that it offers ample protection to the material of the board and helps to smooth out clothes and press them neatly on top of the ironing board. Thick padding is especially important when the iron board does not come with a cover and the material is metal.
- Material of Padding – The padding of most ironing boards is made from foam. Some higher-end brands like Brabantia make padding using viscose and foam for added durability. The material would also play a part in determining how thick the padding should be on the ironing board. Felt pads are another option. They are more durable than foam but the foam is more affordable.
- Replacement Padding – Eventually, after much wear and tear, the pads on top of ironing boards wear out. You can feel that the padding has deflated and has become thinner. This is when you need to buy replacement padding for your ironing board. It is quite cheap and a lot of ironing board manufacturers make them. You just need to place the replacement padding on top of the board and cut it properly, leaving some extra amount around the nose area so that the padding would easily go down from there.
Drawstring vs Bungee
When you invest in a decent ironing board, it would usually come with a cover. The cover has fastenings through which it is tied to the ironing board. These fastenings have to be pretty tight so that when you iron clothes on top of the cover, it does not move about.
There are two kinds of common fastening options – drawstring and bungee. Here are a few things you should know about these fastenings:
- Bungee Style Fastenings – The benefit of bungee style fastenings is that it is the most common style around. You will find that most iron boards that come with a cover have bungee fastenings on them. Why? Because they are convenient and they can be attached to your iron board cover quite easily. The problem with these fastenings is that when they are attached to your cover, they move a lot when you iron clothes. They make the coverslip from under the cover and cause wrinkles in your clothes.
- Drawstring Style Fastenings – Drawstring style fastenings are not that common and are considered by some to be “old school” but they do the job well. They keep the cover in place and the biggest advantage of using them is that you can customize them to your liking. You can make them tighter when they get loose and ensure that you get smooth ironing results.
Better Option: It is always recommended to go for a drawstring instead of a bungee.
There are two primary areas where the sturdiness of the board comes into play – the legs and the body itself. The body should be strong enough so that it can sustain quite a lot of weight. The legs would determine how strong and stable the board would be. Here are some points that would help you pick the best sturdy ironing board:
Board Build and Quality
The board should be built using top-quality materials that are durable. At the same time, the legs should also be made from good-quality metal so that they don’t collapse when heavy fabrics and iron are kept on top of the board. It is quite easy to look at the board and find out its sturdiness by testing it beforehand.
The board should ideally be light in weight. Lightweight boards are easy to move around for all the members of the family. They would also be easy to adjust, should the need for the same arrive. Lightweight boards can also be sturdy. A heavyset board that is large and durable can also be lightweight if the manufacturer uses the right material to build it.
There are many features that make an ironing board sturdy. The nose of the board, for instance, can help with the balance of the board and add stability to its structure. Other features like adjustable height can also be useful for different members of the family using the board. Modern iron boards have a small sleeve board, iron rest, clothes rack and vacuum peddle as additional features.
Making The Decision
Do you still face problems ironing your clothes despite investing in a quality iron? Then an ironing board is exactly what you need. The best ironing board to buy would be something that has all the features you desire. You don’t need to spend money on expensive features if you are not going to use them. For instance, if you are the only user of an ironing board in the house, you don’t need the height to be adjustable. So, always keep your personal requirements in mind when you go through the best ironing board reviews.
Make sure you buy your ironing board online so that you can enjoy discounts and lower prices. You will also find amazing variety in online stores when you buy a board there. If you want to check the sturdiness of the board, you would be able to read customer reviews on online sites as well.
Now that you know everything about an iron board, you are ready to make your purchase. Simply go through all our reviews after making a list of basic and advanced features you need. Then, visit your favorite online store when the sale is on. Buy a brand new iron board now and say goodbye to worrisome ironing.
Read more: Best Travel Irons