If there is an indispensable device in the computing world, we can say without a doubt that it is the mouse. Desktop users cannot do without this device, and those with a laptop and necessary find it a vastly improved experience.
If you want to use your computer entirely, we recommend buying one of the 9 best optical mouse presented in this list. We have made the selection according to the evaluations of customers who have already purchased and the brands’ guarantee.
Top 5 Wirecutter Bestseller Mouse
What Aspects Should You Know about an Optical Mouse?
As simple as it may seem, there are several aspects that you have to be clear about when buying a mouse. Thanks to the advancement of technology, the market offers you an infinity of models that in the end, could make you feel overwhelmed. Therefore, you should know some aspects before buying an optical or another type of mouse.
Important Elements of a Mouse
When you look at a mouse’s description, the first item you will see is the DPI or PPP. But do you know what this term means? Here we explain it to you.
The DPI or PPP (dots per inch) represents the sensitivity of the mouse. To be clear to you, this is the number of pixels traveled by the mouse in a scroll of one inch or 2.54 cm.
Specifically, if a mouse is set to 2000 DPI or DPI, it means that it will move 2000 pixels at a distance of 2.54 cm. Now you know that the higher the DPI, the faster the cursor will move.
There are currently 3 main sensors on the wireless or wired mouse. Here we explain a little more in detail how each one works so that you know what the advantages and disadvantages are.
In this case, an LED emits light on a surface that is transmitted through lenses to a sensor. The latter analyzes the surface’s roughness, on your desk, your mouse pad or other accessory and calculates the trajectory to broadcast on the screen.
Currently, this technology, although controlled, is probably the least accurate on the market.
The Laser Sensor
For this technology, the calculation bases are the same as for the optical sensor. The difference comes from the use of a beam that allows the sensor to obtain much clearer shots.
All of this offers much more precise scrolling but adds a restriction: use on a glass surface should be avoided. The beam will not be able, or very difficult, to return the information correctly and cause cuts in the cursor’s movement.
We owe this technology to Microsoft. To compensate for the difficulties of operation on glazed surfaces, the famous manufacturer decided to use a blue LED.
This color is less sensitive to dust and smudges than conventionally used red. Besides, the favorite snapshots returned to the sensor have much higher contrast and resolution, providing even greater precision.
Bluetrack technology is 4 times larger than the others, which gives the sensor a better idea of the surface the mouse sits on.
Top 9 Best Mouse Reviews
Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse with Hero 25K Sensor
- World’s Selling Wireless Gaming Gear Brand - Based on independent sales data (FEB ‘19 - FEB’20) of Wireless Gaming Keyboard, Mice, and PC Headset in units from: US, CA, CN, JP, KR, TW, TH, IN, DE, FR, RU, UK, SE, TR
- PowerPlay wireless charging: Never worry about your battery life again. Add the power play wireless charging system to keep your G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse and other compatible G mice charged while at rest and at play. Powerplay wireless charging system sold separately
- Light speed wireless gaming mouse: Exclusive Logitech G ultra-fast wireless technology used by Pro gamers in competitions worldwide
This G502 optical mouse model proposed by Logitech is a version that differs from its predecessor, the Proteus Core, which is already very convincing. This optical mouse has a place at the top of the best OPTICAL gaming mouse for several years in a row for many reasons.
It has ergonomics close to EXCELLENCE. At first glance, the G502 looks like its Proteus Core brother, except for color. The typical blue of the Swiss brand is absent, and instead, it sports a black and gray casing, with very elegant sobriety of colors.
It has an angular appearance and a pleasant image, which does not compare with some competitors’ eccentricities. The presence of RGB completes the set with a choice of 16 million colors, which can be cycled or not.
Measuring 13.2 x 7.5 x 4 cm for a total weight of 121 grams, this mouse comes in standard sizes, giving you a very comfortable palm grip. Added to this is the presence of a reasonably wide thumb rest, a ballast system of up to five weights of 3.6 g each, and two lovely and useful synthetic rubber side plugs.
It offers a COMFORT for the grip, even in the 11 programmable buttons, 5 of which are directly accessible via the thumb. They are resistant and avoid unintended actions, something that will please MOBA or MMORPG players.
This model offers a lifespan of 20 million clicks, which is reassuring. The detachable wheel is also operable on the sides, allowing horizontal scrolling or even other use, as it is also CONFIGURABLE.
It offers impeccable precision. With its 12,000 DPI, it does its job without flinching. While some users regret that it doesn’t carry a laser sensor in place of optics, this is actually of little importance, especially when using a quality mouse pad.
It is possible to adjust the polling rate between 125 and 1000 Hz. This ensures optimal accuracy to suit the circumstances.
- Modifiable mouse weight
- Exclusive right-handed model
Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless – Wireless Rechargeable Gaming Mouse
- Game in the Fast Lane: Play with hyper fast, sub 1ms Slipstream Corsair Wireless Technology, or connect with low latency Bluetooth or USB wired
- Weighs Just 99 grams: Lightweight construction, so you can play longer without fatigue
- Simple Setup Gets You Playing Faster: Just connect the wireless adapter to a USB port and switch the mouse on
Corsair offers you the Harpoon RGB one of the best OPTICAL mouse, with a sober appearance, light, functional, and relatively modest characteristics. His entry-level profile hides his entirely decent performances.
In terms of ergonomics, this optical mouse model is a small wireworm with a relatively simple rounded design, resulting in rudimentary but reliable build quality.
It has a grainy plastic cover sensitive to the touch but non-slip and with clean finishes. It also highlights its BACKLIT DESIGN through a configurable RGB LED.
It has dimensions of 11.1 x 6.8 x 4 cm for 85 g on the scale, a small size compared to the competition. Comfort is guaranteed by a minimal but sufficient presence of elastomer strips on the edges. However, it is designed strictly for the right-hander due to a slant of the shell to the right.
The Corsair Harpoon RGB Optical Mouse gives you SENSITIVE AND PRECISE CLICKS. It incorporates a button to change the sensitivity of the sensor and the wheel for easy operation. There are two others on the left side for easy thumb access.
The Harpoon, an entry-level model, offers services that largely meet the needs of gamers and models dangerously close to mid-range.
It is equipped with an excellent OPTICAL sensor with a sufficient sensitivity of 3,500 DPI, which can be pushed up to 6,000 virtually via the provided software. It is Sensitive generous enough for most cases, whether at stake or for office automation.
- Good grip
- Exclusive right-handed model
Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse for Windows 7/8 with Bluetooth
- Windows touch tab for easy access to apps and the Start Screen
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity - no transceiver required
- 4-way scroll wheel for navigating up, down, left and right
If you are looking for an optical mouse that offers simplicity and great efficiency, Microsoft offers you one of its best models, the Sculpt Comfort, ideal for you.
The grip is perfect, the size is very well thought out, and the use of great simplicity. No frills, just how much with the two clicks, the wheel, and a “start” button, and the “Windows Touch”, where this mouse is particularly distinguished. It is possible to assign a function such as opening the start menu, for example.
The overall quality of the materials used is as good or better than some of the more expensive models. The model offers no less than 3 million clicks in life for its buttons.
- Nice surface
- Only works on Bluetooth
Logitech M330 Silent Plus Wireless Mouse – Enjoy Same Click Feel with 90% Less Click Noise
- Quieter Click: Logitech’s SilentTouch Technology reduces over 90 percent (1) of clicking sounds while ensuring top performance, meaning you can feel every single click but hear virtually nothing
- Crafted for Comfort: With contoured grips made of soft rubber, the noiseless M330 SILENT PLUS mouse is built to give great comfort to right-handed users
- Long Life: This cordless mouse has a 24-month battery life (2), and automatically switches to sleep mode when not in use, allowing you to focus on your work without the hassle of changing batteries
This Logitech M330 Silent Plus model is one of the best OPTICAL mice available on the market today. The manufacturers go out of their way to bring you this well-thought-out model that combines compact size and COMFORT.
It is available in three colors: black, red and blue. This wireless optical mouse is slightly larger than its M220 Silent predecessor, measuring 10.5 x 6.8 x 3.8 cm for 91 grams with a battery. It offers a compact and light enough format, ideal for carrying anywhere without difficulty or tangled cables.
Its design is quite ergonomic and is intended exclusively for RIGHTHAND PEOPLE. The shapes fit the hand quite well and the cut reserved for the thumb is undoubtedly modest in size but sufficient for medium-sized fingers.
In terms of build quality, this optical mouse is not far from the mid-range. The finishes are clean and its non-slip coating all around ensures a PLEASANT GRIP under the fingers. The top is made of glossy plastic, which gives it a satin look.
As for the buttons, they have a minimal expression. Left and right clicks, and a button that serves as a center button, make it a reasonably understated model, even for office automation.
It is positively silent; the buttons are equipped with micro switches that significantly reduce clicks’ noise. It is the same with the wheel, very fluid and quiet. Additionally, this optical mouse model’s lifespan is up to 5 million clicks, which is a pretty good score.
- Ultra-quiet click
- Various colors available
- Right-handed exclusive
BENGOO KM-1 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Computer Mouse with Honeycomb Shell
- Lightweight Honeycome Shell - Taking unique design of lightweight honeycomb shell, offers you better touch experience. Great material makes the mouse owns durable strength, never worried that it is too fragile to ruin. Advanced ventilation would keep your palm be cool and fresh all the time, assures your soft feeling and excellent gaming experience even a long-period using.
- 2.4G Wireless Technology - 2.4GHz wireless offers stable connection and precise track. By connecting the USB receiver with the USB port, you could use it at anytime and anywhere, no delays and interference. And please note that 2.4G connection distance cannot be over 10 meters.
- Chroma Rgb Lights - By clicking the on/off button to activate the KM-1 mouse, and pressing the LED button repeatedly to change different light effects - rainbow mode/stream mode/breathing mode/pure mode or turn off the light, which would provide you more fun while gaming.
If you are looking for an Optical Wireless Mouse, this BENGOO KM-1 model is an economical option and highly recommended by Amazon users. You will have support for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, and many other operating systems.
You can use this mouse on computers and tablets or smartphones, which stands out and separates it from the others on this list. Thanks to its advanced optical technology, you will have a configuration of up to 1600 DPI of optical resolution, giving you greater precision and adaptability to any surface.
It has a rechargeable battery, as well as a USB to recharge it. You can count on up to 120 hours of continuous work, which will make your life easier.
Even if you have a limited budget, you can opt for this model, with its mini smart design, ideal for taking it anywhere, connecting thanks to its smart connectivity quickly. You can also use a method and an appearance elegant and automatic energy-saving mode to use it or not without wasting energy. Also, it is silent.
- Exceptional design
- Rechargeable battery with 120 hours of useful life
- Ideal for tablets and smartphones
- Unbeatable value for money
- Plastic material
Logitech MX Master 2S Wireless Mouse – Use on Any Surface
- Cross computer control: Game changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on 3 computers, and copy paste text, images, and files from 1 to the other using Logitech flow
- Dual connectivity: Use with upto 3 Windows or Mac computers via included Unifying receiver or Bluetooth Smart wireless technology. Gesture button- Yes
- Advanced ergonomic design: Perfectly sculpted, hand crafted shape supports your hand and wrist in a comfortable, natural position
If you are looking for a complete OPTICAL mouse of excellent quality, the Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse is made for you. This Logitech-built device is packed with essential features. The build quality is worthy of the high end with a near-perfect finish.
It mainly features “Flow” technology, which allows the mouse to navigate up to three machines without manipulation. Fans of editing will highly value the vertical and horizontal scroll wheels, be it video or image.
It operates with Darkfield precision, allowing it to work on virtually any surface with up to 4000 dpi precision, even on glass. The grip is very pleasant and its 7 configuration buttons offer you a wide variety of settings. Also, note the presence of a Unifying USB sensor if your machine does not have a built-in Bluetooth system.
- A complete optical mouse
- Wireless mouse
- Some find the price a bit high
LOGITECH – MX Anywhere 2S Wireless Laser Mouse – Black
- WORKS ANYWHERE 4000 dpi Darkfield sensor tracks flawlessly virtually anywhere, even on glass. Mouse Dimensions-1.3 x 2.4 x 3.9. Unifying Receiver-0.2 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches
- CROSS COMPUTER CONTROL Game changing capacity to navigate seamlessly on three computers, and copy paste text, images, and files from one to the other using Logitech FLOW
- DUAL CONNECTIVITY Use with up to three Windows or Mac computers and laptops via included Unifying receiver or Bluetooth Smart wireless technology
Buying one of the best high-end OPTICAL mice is the best decision. Logitech is right again with this high-end MX Anywhere model. It is an excellent mouse very complete with top-level functionalities.
It is equipped with an excellent Darkfield sensor, which allows you to use it on any surface, even glass, without any difficulty. The materials are stable and resistant with a clean finish. The grip is the usual in Logitech, very friendly, the touch is right and the responsiveness is very correct.
In this model, a button under the mouse is observed to synchronize and register 3 devices. This is very convenient if you use a single mouse on multiple machines. Another element in favor of this mouse is AUTONOMY.
One minute of charge equals one hour of use and full payment will allow you to use the mouse for 2 months. You can also find a Unifying USB sensor. This will allow you to use it on any machine even if it is not equipped with native Bluetooth, as long as it has a USB port available.
- Excellent functionalities
- Great compatibility
- Wireless mouse
- Has some connection failures
JETech 2.4Ghz Wireless Mobile Optical Mouse with 3 CPI Levels and USB Wireless Receiver
- Compatible with Windows 98/2000/NT/ME/XP/win7/Win8; No driver needed, plug and play. 3 adjustable CPI levels (800/1200/1600)
- 12-month battery life on 1 AA battery (battery NOT included) practically eliminates the need to replace battery. Battery life may vary based on user and computing conditions.
- Note: the USB receiver is inserted in the back of the mouse. Adopt the 2.4G frequency technology, working distance can reach to 8M-10M. 2.4G will give you a more comfortable, convenient and exact effect than the traditional FM radio wireless mouse. Soft rubber grip and contoured body deliver continuous, all-day comfort.
Looking for an efficient optical mouse at a super price, this JETech model has stood out. The DPI setting functions, good grip, and 3 buttons do the job efficiently.
When it comes to materials, they are not excessively solid and durable, but they are not brittle. The clicks are correct, and the wheel responds well, it is a bit loud, but nothing alarming. The grip is adequate without being exceptional and the thumb coating is pleasant to the touch.
JETech offers you an OPTICAL MOUSE that does what you need right for a meager price, recommended for occasional users or as backup devices, for example, to avoid the touchpad of a laptop.
- Quite a competitive price
- 3 levels of adjustment and customizable buttons
- Not compatible with iPhone or iPad
VicTsing MM057 2.4G Wireless Portable Mobile Mouse Optical Mice
- Echo Dot is a voice-controlled speaker that uses Alexa to play music, control smart home devices, make calls, answer questions, set timers and alarms, and more.
- Play music from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio.
- Call or message family and friends hands-free, or drop in from the Alexa App to your Echo device.
If you need an optical mouse with complete but simple features, this TeckNet Alpha design is perfect for what you are looking for. It offers 5 buttons, next and previous, right and left click, a wheel, DPI setting.
The build quality is certainly not at the best brand level, but the price/quality ratio is excellent. It offers a high level of precision of up to 3000 DPI with 5 adjustable levels, which allows you everyday use and games.
It works through Bluetooth technology that offers compatibility with different systems such as Windows 2000, XP, VISTA, 7, 8, 10. This design is inspired by high-end models and can reproduce the main features while limiting costs. The plastics and sensors used are of average quality, but the essentials also stand out.
It offers TruWave technology that allows you to have high-precision cursor control on different surfaces. It also provides a lifespan of up to 10 million clicks. If your choice is a low investment for a complete and adequate mouse, you can buy this OPTICAL mouse model without hesitation.
- True wave technology
- Unbeatable price-quality: long service life
- Side buttons cannot be used on mac or ios systems
You may like: Best Monitor
What to Consider When Choosing The Best Mouse
Choosing a mouse is not easy, especially since this device will be, along with the keyboard, the most used on a PC. To ensure the right choice, you should consider:
A rounded shape ensures a good grip and prevents hand and wrist cramps if you spend days at the computer. A flattering shape will be excellent for a short time, but it’s not the most suitable for long-term use.
b) Sensitivity is an Important but Secondary Point
For conventional use, a mouse with a sensitivity of 800 dpi will be amply sufficient. But if you are a demanding gamer you will look for a mouse with a very high DPI that makes a small grip movement while quickly scanning the screen’s surface.
In the cases of “multimedia” Gamers, who play from time to time, an OPTICAL mouse set at 1200 dpi suits them perfectly.
You should be aware that an entry or mid-range OPTICAL MOUSE generally does not have a USB adapter. This information should not be overlooked, as many PCs, especially desktops, are not equipped with built-in Bluetooth technology.
d) Is Price a Guarantee of Quality?
Some models indeed show very high prices for no apparent reason. But on the other hand, an input mouse will never match the quality of an expensive model. In these types of devices, it must be admitted that the price is related to the quality.
A solid, OPTICAL mouse with a control wheel, a good grip, and multiple customizable options will always be much more expensive than a model with three or five classic buttons. On the other hand, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to buy a costly mouse to get a quality device with 12 or 15 buttons.
If you are not a gamer, it won’t make any sense for you to spend vast amounts of money never to use all the features. That is why it is essential to identify your needs and expectations before choosing one of the 9 best optical mouse.
Read more: Best Webcam
These are the mouse that we use in our day for our writing, editing, and of course, to play. As you can see, there is a good collection of models, but they are not the only ones.
If you also spend hours in front of the computer, either to play or to work, and you want to contribute your grain of sand, you can do so in the comments.
Read more: Best Headphones